« Home | Yet another reason why I should not be allowed out... » | A Day at the Races » | Just some Observations » | Just Breathe » | Natalee Holloway » | Plant Sex » | Welcome to the Dungeon » | I may be many things. A homewrecker I am not. » | We Meet Again » | Kip & Kiki's Chicago Adventure (or the longest pos... » 

Sunday, June 26, 2005 

You still a nigga

I sometimes read this blog. Today I read this post. In short, a waiter sees a mixed kid in his restaurant. After asking him twice if he could help him and the kid not answering, the waiter asked if the kid was there for the dishwashing job (he interviewed several non-english speaking applicants earlier in the day). The kid was actually not hispanic, but half black/white. I suggest you read the post to get the full gist of it.

Anyway, I was reading the comments, and I couldn't get over how many people responded with such negativity to the kid. Wow! Many of the commenters called the kid a jerk. Many stated that we're all racist on a certain level. There was even one commenter who stated that s/he has adopted kids who were black and were fearful of black people. God help her children!

Reading the post made me think of that Trick Daddy song (I know, random, right!), Amerika. There's a line:


You only got 2 bucks and you give less then a fuck -- then you a nigga
Got a nice home and a lexus truck -- you a nigga
World champions and you mvp -- you a nigga
4 degrees and a ph. d -- still a nigga
To use ur platinum card you need 4 i.d.’s -- then you’s a nigga
If ur skin is brown just like me -- then you a nigga
Got a promotion and a fat ass raise -- you still a nigga
You from the islands and ur peoples wasn’t slaves -- you a nigga
No mattah how much yo ass get paid -- you still a nigga
Shot by the cops at a traffic stop -- cuz u a nigga

Wow. I never thought I'd hear truer words...especially from Trick Daddy. It makes me think more about what others think about me. My people. Where I come from. It makes me look a little closer at the news in Lansing. Wonder why they flash the name of important white people on the screen (Tom Izzo), but don't flash the name of President of the Detroit Pistons (Joe Dumars). In fact, I had to Google Joe Dumars just to be sure he was the person who I saw on TV tonight. Why the picture of white suspects are rarely posted, but black suspects are always posted. Why we're all searching for Natalee Holloway, but not ______. Well, I don't have a name for a missing, attractive black woman. According to lack of media coverage, I'm gonna have to assume there are none.

Now I understand that many of the commenters noted that the asumption that the waiter made was only made after the kid didn't respond. However, many folks missed the point that the kid had probably been judged all of his life...just by the color of his skin. Even if the waiter didn't mean to offend, it was out there, in the open, and it reminded that kid that no matter what he does, what he accomplishes, where he goes, he's still a nigga.

tamika huston.

the fact that oprah's ass got shut outta Hermes will remind ALL of our asses that no matter who the hell we THINK we are, to THEM we're still niggas.

all true! but then again... maybe the kid was just a Jerk

we weren't there.

Post a Comment

About me

  • I'm young, single, got a great ass, a serial dater, a sometimes drunk, addicted to the gym, liable to make fat girls cry, have a mild ED, think Notre Dame is the greatest college and Texas is the greatest state. Currently at a standstill since moving from Detroit Area, Michigan (tons of yuppies) to Mason, MI (noted KKK presence). Come be a part of my random, shocking, and exciting world.
My profile
Powered by Blogger
and Blogger Templates
eXTReMe Tracker



Locations of visitors to this page