« Home | I Wouldn't be Crying if I Were Allowed to Drink at... » | Even I'm Surprised at the Level of My Game » | No Means No...Until I Get a Present » | So We Were Having Cocktails at the Fraternity... » | A Few Things » | What Have I Done? » | Phat » | The Beatdown » | Indianapolis » | Everyone Should Have Goals » 

Friday, September 15, 2006 

We'll Miss You, Miss Ann


Ann Richards was a hero of mine. I don’t remember much about her, but I do remember the incident between her and Clayton Williams. For those of you out there who aren’t Texans, Clayton Williams (what a great Texan name) was the Republican running for Texas Governor against Miss Ann. What I remember clearly was his refusal to shake Miss Ann’s hand after a gubernatorial debate. Now, it may seem really petty, but manners are very important to Texans. So, that misstep was not a good move for Clayton. After looking up some info online, I also recalled that Clayton made an infamous joke to reporters, likening bad weather to rape, quipping, "as long as it's inevitable, you might as well lie back and enjoy it." And while I find that funny and kinda truthful, I guess you can’t say things like that out loud…and while running for Governor.

But back to Miss Ann. I loved her. I loved that she was the definition of a Texas woman. She had it all. The hair, the drawl, the spunk, the fact that she knew how to fire a gun. Even in the early 90s, I saw her as a strong woman who could do anything. Miss Ann’s accomplishments made me want to do more and say more as a woman. I know that it’s not an eloquent tribute. It’s not like I ever met the woman or that she touched me personally. But I remember her and felt empowered that she represented me as a woman. I hope we have many more Miss Ann’s in the future.

OMG!!! I remember her too. She spoke at a Democratic convention once when I was young and I wanted to be her.

Maybe she even made me gay!

Post a Comment

About me

  • I'm young, single, got a great ass, a serial dater, a sometimes drunk, addicted to the gym, liable to make fat girls cry, have a mild ED, think Notre Dame is the greatest college and Texas is the greatest state. Currently at a standstill since moving from Detroit Area, Michigan (tons of yuppies) to Mason, MI (noted KKK presence). Come be a part of my random, shocking, and exciting world.
My profile
Powered by Blogger
and Blogger Templates
eXTReMe Tracker



Locations of visitors to this page